Sunday 16 November 2014

Geneva PQ - An Introduction

from: List of Post Offices in Canada, January 1864
Detail from 1924 Argenteuil County map from Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec
Geneva - in the Province of Quebec - was 'post office village' on Lachute Road between Lachute and St. Andrew's East.

In the grander scheme of things, it would be hard to argue that having a post office and a local telephone company named 'Geneva' qualified this place for an enduring place in the history books.

However, this website only aspires to share bits of historical ephemera from the greater Geneva area - with the intention that they will be preserved 'out there' on the internet.

Geneva no longer exists, but it is significant to me because it is geographically close to my personal toehold on the history of this area. While I may learn more about the region's history by researching items I post here ... I don't live near Geneva and I will never be an expert on its local history.